Sunday, October 16, 2016

Roberta Isleib/Lucy Burdette Interview


Interview with Roberta Isleib/Lucy Burdette

How many books have you published?
I've had 15 mysteries published in three series. (Follow the link for the books)

Under what names do you publish?
The golf lovers and advice column series were written as Roberta Isleib (my real name.) For the Key West food critic series, I used a pen name, Lucy Burdette (my grandmother's name.)

Do you plot the entire book first, then write or plot as you go?
Ah, plotting--this is the hardest part of writing for me! I do write a synopsis of the book at the beginning, but it always turns out to be sketchy. I have more ideas as I write and as the characters bloom and grow. And I brainstorm with other writers when I get stuck!

How do you keep continuity on backstory? For example I read a book recently where the lead character said she had three brothers, several books later, she was an only child.
Oh boy, I should do better with this but I'm not exquisitely organized. It helps to have a manuscript I can search on the computer. And I have at times begged readers to help me remember facts I've forgotten​. And an editor and copy editor are invaluable too, especially if they've worked on all of the books and have the overview of the setting and characters.​ I did ​inadvertently ​change one character's name from the first Key West book to the second and noticed the blooper​ way too late. So far, no one has complained...

Who is your favorite author?
It's way to hard to choose one favorite writer--there are so many wonderful books in the world. For cozy mysteries, of course I enjoy the authors on www.mysteryloverskitchen.com and www.wickedcozyauthors.com; for traditional mysteries, I love the other writers on www.jungleredwriters.com and also William Kent Krueger and Stephen White; for food and memoir, Diana Abu-Jaber; for women's fiction, Kristin Higgins, Lolly Winston, Barbara O'Neal, Maddie Dawson. And my sister, Susan Cerulean, is a fierce and lyrical nature writer.
Do you write with pen and paper or a computer?
I write almost entirely with a computer, but I always have a notebook with me so I don't waste time if I'm waiting. Also, if I'm researching for a Key West book, I take the notebook with me so I can jot important details down when I'm out in the world.
Thanks for hosting me on Map Your Mystery! I hope your readers will enjoy the Key West series! 
xo Lucy



No comments: