Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Ellen Byron Interview

Interview with Ellen Byron


How many books have you published?
Two now. BODY IN THE BAYOU is the second in my Cajun Country Mystery series. But I have four published plays, over 200 published magazine articles, and a ton of produced television credits.

Under what names do you publish? 
Ellen Byron - stayin' consistent!

Do you plot the entire book first, then write or plot as you go? 
I create what I like to call a fluid plot. The basics are all there, but it changes and grows or shrinks as I go. I feel like I need a general guideline to follow, but allow a lot of room to move. Yet I find at the end of a manuscript, a lot of what I laid out in the beginning totally sticks.

How do you keep continuity on backstory? For example I read a book recently where the lead character said she had three brothers, several books later, she was an only child. 
Oh man, that's tough! I'm starting to run into it myself. A lot of it is in my head, which is not the safest place for it. I do a lot of double-checking with previous books (just finished my third ms in the series), and keep running notes on characters I add. There are people who you can pay to keep track of your series, but I don't have that kind of money right now. But maybe if people keep buying my books???? ;-)

Who is your favorite author? 
Emily Bronte and Agatha Christie are two favorites. I also love Louise Penny.
Editor's note: Love Louise Penny's book as well, but alas, they take place in Canada, so not eligible for MapYourMystery yet!

Do you write with pen and paper or a computer?
I'll scribble notes anywhere and everywhere, with whatever's on hand. I even do voice memoes. But I definitely write with a computer.

Checkout the review for Plantation Shudders and Body on the Bayou

No comments: