Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Springtime in New York 1

Last weekend, I spent a few days in New York City with my sister and my daughter. My sister and I were born and raised there, but I have not been back in years. One of the first places we visited was the storefront on 74th and Madison that had once been our father's restaurant. It is now a Christian Science Reading Room in a very ritzy neighborhood now! Who knew.

We also visited the New York Pubic Library and were awed by the beautiful ceilings and the WPA murals. And, of course, the books.

Naturally I went right for the new mysteries. Saw many books from some of my author friends.

The WPA murals are astonishing. They are huge and so beautifully painted.
















Of course you cannot visit New York (especially if you are a Hamilton fanatic) without a visit to The Grange.

We headed Uptown and visited The Grange in Harlem. The house is operated by the National Park Service and is free. That little person standing in front of the building is me! The big guy in the picture on the right, of course, is Alexander Hamilton.

Spent a rainy day at the New York Botanical Garden and saw the new Georgia O'Keeffe exhibit of her time in Hawaii. Walked around the grounds and saw beautiful peonies of every shade then into the Conservatory to see orchids of all kinds.

And last but not least, the setting sun shining on one of my favorite buildings - the Chrysler Building. 



1 comment:

Susan Nowicki said...

Great report on your trip to New York. Enjoyed all the insights and the photo tour of the library; the murals are beautiful; we in Detroit especially appreciate the WPA art as we have a number of good examples at the Detroit Institute of the Arts. You really captured the unique feel of the city. Looks like you really enjoyed the trip.