Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Interview with John Gaspard

How many books have you published?
There are four books in the Eli Marks mystery series: The Ambitious Card, The Bullet Catch, The Miser’s Dream, and The Linking Rings.

I have one other stand-alone novel (“The Ripperologists”) as well as a couple books on filmmaking.
You can find details on all of them here: https://tinyurl.com/y72ceumg

How did you become interested in writing?
I started out in filmmaking and turned to writing to give myself something to shoot and edit.

What is a day in the life of an author like? Do you write a certain number of words, do you write in the morning or evening, etc?
I have no set schedule, to my shame. Most of the work actually happens in my head; sitting down to type it out is really just the last step. So I just grab whatever free time is available in an otherwise crammed day.

Do you plot the entire book first, then write or plot as you go?
I generally have a pretty solid handle on the first two-thirds of the story and a definite idea of the ending. I leave the final third a bit loose-goosey, because things inevitably change as I’m writing the first two-thirds.

Do you use real people and places as models for your books?
There are a lot of real places mixed in with the fictional locations in the Eli Marks series. The magic store, Chicago Magic, does not exist, but the movie theater on one side and Adrian’s bar on the other do exist. Other real locations (The Mall of America, the Wabasha Caves, Pepitos restaurant) make the occasional appearance, but most locations exist only in my mind. As for people, I will say that characteristics of people I know may show up from time to time in a story, but I haven’t kidnapped any real people and put them in a book.

Who is your favorite author?
I’m a big fan of Lawrence Block and his multiple series. Jasper Ffjord, Douglas Adams. On stage, there is none better than Tom Stoppard.

How do you promote your books?
Interviews like this, plus reader events, as well as Facebook ads.

What is the title of your latest book and when will it be published?
The fourth book in the Eli Marks series is The Linking Rings and it will be out on January 16, 2018.

For a review of The Ambitious Card, click here

No comments: