Friday, June 1, 2018

Korean Beef Bowls

After several days of dinners featuring chicken, I thought my husband and I might like a change of pace. I avidly browsed through some of the food blogs, especially Mystery Lovers Kitchen in the hopes that I could find something different. Lots of great desserts and another delicious-sounding chicken recipe, but I knew I would be in trouble if we had chicken again. 

My daughter suggested a recipe she found on a blog - Korean Beef Bowls.

The best part about this recipe is the 15 minutes it actually takes to prepare it. Now you have to remember to take the ground beef out of the freezer the day before otherwise it will take a lot looonger.

Ingredients: 

1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes, or more to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound ground beef
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds 
1 cup white rice (cooked separately)
 
I did not have any green onions so I went to my garden and cut some chives. They tasted great so I was happy with my choice.

Directions:

In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper flakes and ginger.
Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ground beef and cook until browned, about 3-5 minutes, making sure to crumble the beef as it cooks; drain excess fat.

Stir in soy sauce mixture and green onions until well combined, allowing to simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes.

Serve immediately, garnished with green onion and sesame seeds, if desired.

No comments: