Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Interview with Diane Vallere

Interview with Diane Vallere

How many books have you published?

Under what names do you publish? 
Diane Vallere

Do you plot the entire book first, then write or plot as you go? 
I write as I go, very little (read: no) plotting!

How do you promote your books? 
Depending on the series, I do different things. I tend to do bookstore events to support my Costume Shop and Material Witness series and more online promotion for Madison Night and Samantha Kidd. I always try to attend conferences close to when I have a new book out, and I send newsletters 1-2 times a month to keep in touch with readers. I just did my first book club on Facebook and liked it, so I'm going to do that for future books. 

How do you keep continuity on backstory? For example I read a book recently where the lead character said she had three brothers, several books later, she was an only child. 
This is tricky. I usually rely on my memory, but if I'm in doubt, I do  pull up the manuscript and check the details. My editors have saved me a few times, though. 

Who is your favorite author?
I really don't think I can pick one favorite author, but I can say that Judy Blume's books had a very major impact on me, as did mysteries like Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew. Now I enjoy Janet Evanovich, Hank Phillippi Ryan and Brad Parks, and Lawrence Block. 

Do you write with pen and paper or a computer? 
90% on the computer and 10% on paper and pen. I tend to turn to paper and pen when I get stuck. Somehow it shakes something loose in my brain, plus I'm able to let go a little more when I write longhand because it doesn't feel so permanent. 



No comments: