Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Down East again

For some reason, the last few mysteries I've read take place in Maine. Can't seem to get away from the area, but the books were good. One series is written by Lea Wait. Thread and Gone is the third in the series.

The lead character Angie Curtis is the director of her grandmother's embroidery company, called Mainely Needlepoint. When I first met Angie, I did not warm to her, but as the series continued, I found her more interesting. In this book she and her cohorts have been asked to determine if a piece of embroidery that was found in an old home could have been created by Mary Queen of Scots.

How could embroidery made by the Scottish Queen in the 16th century have found its way to Maine? Is there any truth to the rumor that one of the Clough family sea captains brought it back?

Angie takes the sampler to her attorney for safekeeping, but within a
day, the attorney is dead and the sampler is missing along with some valuable jewelry. When another person turns up dead, but with the jewelry, Angie is confused and concerned for the sampler so she begins asking questions of all those who knew about the sampler.

The Mainely Needlepoint group is an interesting array of characters. There's a lobster boat captain, a high school science teacher (both males), an Australian antiques dealer, Angie's grandmother (newly married to the local minister), an erotic internet writer and several others. As I cannot needlepoint to save my life, I am fascinated by the amount of needlepoint they produce.

Here's hoping I have had my fill of Maine and can move on to another state!

The first book in this series is entitled Twisted Threads.

No comments: