Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Interview with Victoria Gilbert

What is the title of your newest book? How many books have you published?

My most recent book is Shelved Under Murder  (July 10). It is the second book in my Blue Ridge Library Mystery series. The first book, A Murder for the Books, was published in Dec. 2017 and the third book (which I have already written), Past Due for Murder, will be released in Feb., 2019. This series is published by Crooked Lane Books.

That means I have published two mysteries (as of July). However, I also published a few other books in another genre (and under a different author name) so overall, I’ve had seven books published, small press and indie releases included.

How did you develop your character and choose your location?
My characters tend to develop as I’m writing the books. I have a general sense of who they are before I begin, and I do map out their life histories prior to writing, but the true essence of their personalities doesn’t become clear until I write about them. Sometimes they surprise me by turning out a little (or a lot) different than I’d originally planned!

My setting for the Blue Ridge Library Mystery series is based on the area where I grew up—in a small, historic, town in the Blue Ridge Mountains of northern Virginia. I chose this location because it was not only something I knew well; it also lent itself to incorporating historical elements into my contemporary stories.

What is a day in the life of an author like? Do you write a certain number of words, do you write in the morning or evening? 
For me it varies, depending upon where I am in the writing process. If I am planning a book, or doing initial drafting, I may only work on any particular book for a few hours a day. Since I’ve retired from my previous full-time career as a librarian, I spend the rest of the day doing regular chores, like cooking, gardening, and cleaning, as well as working on writing-related things such as my social media outreach, general book promotion, critiquing for my author friends, and so on.

However, once I am deep into writing the book, and especially if a deadline looms ominously, I tend to concentrate only on the writing. At that point I may be writing and/or revising eight hours a day or more. (So not much else gets done!)

I don’t write a certain number of words a day. I find that I do better when I set page or chapter goals rather than word goals. I try to write at least half a chapter a day when I am drafting, which translates into around five to seven pages. At that rate, and including time for edits and revisions, I can complete a manuscript in approximately five to six months.

Do you belong to a writers group or are you in touch with other writers? How does that help your writing?
Yes, I belong to my local chapter of Sisters-in-Crime and attend their meetings once a month. I also attended Malice Domestic back in April—that’s a big conference focused on cozy and light mysteries—and will be attending the Bouchercon World Mystery Convention in September. I meet numerous authors through these events. I find it’s always helpful to talk about the writing process with other professionals, as I’m continually learning more from their unique skill-sets and experiences.

I also belong to Mystery Writers of America and International Thriller Writers, but so far have only connected with my fellow members in those organizations online.

I have two wonderful critique partners, Richard Taylor Pearson and Lindsey Duga. We’ve worked together for several years now reading and critiquing each other’s’ works, as well as providing support throughout our writing journeys. Although we all write in different genres, I learn a lot from just critiquing their (wonderful) books.

Do you model your character after yourself or any one you know?
No, I actually try very hard NOT to do this. Of course, I draw on my background and experiences to portray certain things, such as library work and small-town settings, but I deliberately make my characters their own unique selves. I do incorporate traits and characteristics from people I’ve known, as well as my own knowledge on certain topics, but no character is exactly modeled after a specific person.

If your books were made into a movie, who would you want to play the lead character?
I really can’t answer that question, for a good reason—Sony Pictures Television has optioned A Murder for the Books and Shelved Under Murder and, if a production goes forward based on my books, I’d rather not go on record with my own personal picks. I prefer to allow the production team to decide who would be best actor/actress for any of the roles.

Who is your favorite author?
This is an impossible question! I love so many different authors, for different reasons. So I’ll just list a few (in no particular order): John Crowley, Dorothy Dunnett, Anne Tyler, all the Brontes, C.S. Lewis, Josephine Tey, Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine, R.A. MacAvoy, John le Carre, and Mary Stewart.

How do you keep track of character details from book to book so they are consistent?
Files and notebooks! I create and maintain a lot of information on the characters, such as ages, family trees, relationship connections, and so on. Because my books include references to historical elements as well as contemporary events, I have to be particularly diligent about keeping the age charts and “relationship trees” accurate.

If you could not be an author, what would like to do as a career?
I just retired from a thirty-year career as a professional librarian, so… Animal rescuer, maybe? I’d love to have a set-up where I could take-in rescued animals and find them new homes. Or professional traveler? Of course, if I had the money, I would do both!

No comments: