Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Interview with Dora Ilieva

What is the title of your newest book? How many books have you published?

My latest book, which I published in October, 2017, is called White Clay. It is the third (and for now final) book in the Bulgarian series.
I have published four books so far – the Bulgarian trilogy and a slim collection of short stories called Faces.

How did you become interested in writing?
I’ve always wanted to write. I used to write in my youth, then after a rather long hiatus, I decided to pick it up again and I’m glad I did.

What is a day in the life of an author like? Do you write a certain number of words, do you write in the morning or evening, etc? 
Unfortunately, I don’t have the chance to write every day, so I can’t really say what a typical day for me is. I write whenever I get a chance. If I had to choose a time of day, I’d choose the morning.

Do you plot the entire book first, then write or plot as you go?
I don’t plot the entire book. I start with a very rough idea and see where my writing takes me.

Do you use real people and places as models for your books? Have you been to the village ember dance you mention in the book?
I use characteristics from real people, idiosyncrasies that have stuck with me, but have never focused on a single person. As for places, yes, I usually use real places. The only exception I can think of is a city mentioned in White Clay – Gorodok 142. While the one I describe in the book is made up, it is known that those nameless, secret cities existed in the Soviet Union.

I haven’t been to the village of Gorna Krepost, but I have watched the ember dance at other places. It is an incredible experience.

Who is your favorite author?
This is a tough question. I don’t really have a favorite author, but there are many authors that I love - Saramago, Marquez, Allende, Greene, Christie, many 19th century authors… The list is long.

How do you promote your books?
Aside from the Goodreads giveaways and a Facebook page, I don’t really do much to promote my books. It’s not that I don’t want to, or consider myself above such endeavours. There is one main reason – I don’t have a lot of spare time to find out how to do it properly and put in a consistent effort. A friend and fellow author, Jennifer S. Alderson, has been extremely helpful in this regard and I am very grateful.

For a review of Devi;'s Gorge, click here.

2 comments:

JSA said...

Great interview, Dora! I'm fascinated by the Bulgarian cities and customs you mention in your books, so this was a treat to find out more about them. And I'm glad to help; you're a talented author and I'm happy to see your work getting more recognition.

Janice J. Richardson said...

On my desktop is a sticky note with my top TBR list. The Master is one of them. Looking forward to reading it.