Friday, August 4, 2017

Interview with Jenny Kales

How many books have you published?

I've written two Callie's Kitchen Mysteries -- ON THE CHOPPING BLOCK and SPICED AND ICED, with the third, SECRETS AND PIES, to be published in October of this year. I've got another mystery with series potential that I'm working on as well.

How did you become interested in writing?
I don't think I can remember a time I wasn't interested in writing, lol. As soon as I could read and write I started writing my own stories. I worked as a writer in the corporate and magazine/website world for years before writing my first cozy mystery.

What is a day in the life of an author like? Do you write a certain number of words, do you write in the morning or evening.
I don't really set out with a word count, but if I'm writing a book I will have chapter goals, for example, write two chapters today. I prefer writing in the afternoons -- I'm not really a morning person, but occasionally I will get inspired in the a.m and feel great about myself the rest of the day, lol. However, writing is about a lot more than just the actual writing. I do a lot of marketing, book promotion, collaborating with bloggers for their sites, working with my cover designer. There's always something going on!

Do you plot the entire book first, then write or plot as you go?
I always plot first and write an outline and synopsis before I get started. Once I had the killer change on me and other things will change as I write, but I always start out with the structure of the chapters and the final scenes in mind.

Do you use real people and places as models for your books?
Absolutely! Crystal Bay, the setting of my Callie's Kitchen Mysteries, is inspired by the Geneva Lakes area of Wisconsin, a place I visit frequently. As far as the characters, they are generally completely made up, which is part of the fun. Sometimes a real person will inspire a character or several people will inspire a character, but what's so much fun about this is that usually they just come to me -- and I get to know them the more that I write. My personal experiences have greatly inspired me, though. I came up with my Greek-American heroine because I married into a Greek-American family -- lots of inspiration at the ready!

Who is your favorite author?
I don't mean for this to be a cop out but I can't choose. It's like choosing a favorite child! In the cozy mystery genre, I have been inspired by Dianne Mott Davidson and Leslie Meier. I also love Ruth Rendell, Caroline Graham, Agatha Christie, Donna Tartt, Jane Austen, F. Scott Fitzgerald -- and too many others to count.

How do you promote your books?
I have a newsletter and website that I use, along with a Facebook page, Twitter, Goodreads, Pinterest and Instagram. Reviews on Amazon and Goodreads are helpful (they raise my books' ranking) as well as being featured on blogs such as yours. From day one, book reviewers and bloggers like you have been so helpful! And least I forget -- word of mouth! Nothing beats that. Tell your friends and they will tell their friends! Authors appreciate that so much.

Check out my review of On Chopping Block http://mapyourmystery.blogspot.com/2017/01/cooking-up-murder.html

Social media links for Jenny Kales
My books are available in ebook and paperback format on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N51S5CR/ref=series_rw_dp_sw

Website: www.jennykales.wordpress.com
Sign up for my FREE seasonal newsletter
Follow me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Follow me on Goodreads
Follow me on Instagram
Follow me on Pinterest: Jenny Kales (JennyKales)

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Thanks for having me on your blog today, Christine! I'm happy for a chance to "meet" your readers.

:) Jenny

Kristi L said...

Happy Friday! I am looking for to Secrets and Pies. I really enjoyed the first two books in the series.