Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Interview with Catherine Bruns

What is the title of your newest book? How many books have you published?
My newest book just released November 5 and is called Ginger Snapped to Death. It's
Catherine Bruns
Book #8 in my Cookies & Chance series and my first Christmas cozy. It's my 14th published novel but I just finished writing Book #16.

What was the most recent book you read?
Suspect in High Heels by Gemma Halliday

How did you develop your character and choose your location?
For Penne Dreadful, I wanted a different protagonist than the usual type in cozies. I didn't want a main character who comes home after a bad breakup or to take over Grandma's business so I chose a widow. As for locations, I try to use ones that I'm familiar with.


For a review of Penne Dreadful click here

What kind of research do you do, and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book?
I'm a pantser, so I do a lot of research while I'm actually writing the book, since I never know 
in what direction my mind will take me. :) I'm also fortunate to have several contacts in the medical field and law enforcement, which helps tremendously.

What books did you read as a child? 
There were so many, but anything about Nancy Drew or Laura Ingalls Wilder stands out.

What drew you to writing?
I've wanted to be a writer, since I was eight years old.

If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?

Don't procrastinate. Life is too short to waste time.

Who is your favorite author? 
Oh, that's like picking a favorite child. I have several - Sue Grafton, Sandra Brown and Laura Ingalls Wilder - just for starters.

If you could invite five people – living or dead – to a dinner party, who would they be?
Only five? :) Let's see. Louisa May Alcott, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Carol Burnett, Bette Davis and Lucille Ball. Wouldn't that be a fun dinner?

If you could not be an author, what would like to do as a career?
I think I would have been a teacher. My parents always wanted me to pursue that career path but of course, how many of us actually do what our parents want us to at that age?

No comments: