Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Interview with Sarah Fox

What is the title of your newest book? How many books have you published?
Wine and Punishment is my latest book. It’s the first in the Literary Pub Mystery series. I’ve also published three books in the Music Lover’s Mystery series and four Pancake House Mysteries.

How did you develop your character and choose your location?
It felt like Sadie developed her own character as I wrote Wine and Punishment. I started with a few basic ideas about her, but it was as I wrote the first draft of the book that she really came to life. As for the location, I knew I wanted the story to center around a beautiful renovated grist mill in a gorgeous autumn setting, so that’s why I chose a small town in Vermont.

For a review of Wine and Punishment, click here.

What is a day in the life of an author like? Do you write a certain number of words, do you write in the morning or evening?
I try to write 1500 words a day, six days a week. I prefer to write in the morning, but on weekdays I’m usually working at my day job in the morning so most of the time I write in the afternoon.

Do you model your character after yourself or any one you know?
I try not to do that with any characters. That said, there’s likely a few bits and pieces of me in all of my main characters. They’re all far more interesting than I am though!

If your books were made into a movie, who would you want to play the lead character?
That’s a tough one. Molly C. Quinn is a bit younger than Sadie, but she’s got red hair and I know she’s a good actress, so I’ll go with her.

Who is your favorite author?
Another tough one! I have so many favorites, but I’ll go with Agatha Christie since she’s the author who got me hooked on mysteries many years ago.

If you could invite five people – living or dead – to a dinner party, who would they be?
My critique partners, Sarah Blair, Jody Holford, and Nicole Bates. Maybe Kathy Reichs and Louise Penny as well, as they’re both writers I admire.

If you could not be an author, what would you like to do as a career?
A scriptwriter, but if I couldn’t be a writer of any sort then maybe a film/tv editor.

No comments: