Thursday, November 3, 2016

Gigi Pandian Interview

Interview with Gigi Pandian 

How many books have you published? 
I have six mystery novels out, plus six locked-room mystery short stories and one novella. There are four books so far in the Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery Series about a historian who travels the world finding historical treasures related to India’s colonial history, and two books so far in the Accidental Alchemist mystery series about a centuries-old female alchemist and her impish gargoyle sidekick who was accidentally brought to life by a French stage magician. (Amazon link to authors page)

Under what names do you publish?
I’m Gigi Pandian for all of my fiction that’s been published to date.

 Do you plot the entire book first, then write or plot as you go? 
I do both. I love twisty puzzle plot mysteries, so I love to craft an intricate plot ahead of time, with fair play clues and fun twists. I begin with that outline, but then my characters steer me in directions that are different than I anticipated, which is a lot of fun.

How do you promote your books? 
I was diagnosed with breast cancer right after my 36th birthday, shortly before becoming a published author. I decided publishing should be fun, because I didn’t want to waste whatever time I had left on earth worrying about things beyond my control. There’s so much an author can do to promote a book, but that would be a full-time job on its own, so I decided to pick by what I enjoy. I create promotional items that bring me joy, such as Accidental Alchemist mugs and an original Jaya Jones illustration by a graphic novelist friend, and I attend mystery conventions where I have a blast chatting with mystery fans. So far I’m four years cancer-free, and doing a pretty good job not sweating the small stuff. 

How do you keep continuity on backstory? For example I read a book recently where the lead character said she had three brothers, several books later, she was an only child. 
I keep an electronic character bible to keep track of facts about characters. It’s not fool-proof, though. I think I’m missing one of the multiple languages my character Lane Peters speaks!

Who is your favorite author? 
Elizabeth Peters is the author who made me want to become a writer. Her Vicky Bliss art historian mysteries are what inspired my Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mysteries. One of my biggest thrills as a published author has been that reviewers frequently liken my books to hers.

 Do you write with pen and paper or a computer? 
I start on paper before moving to a computer, and whenever I’m stuck I go back to paper. I’m convinced that a pen in my hand activates a different part of my brain. Especially if I’m writing in a paper notebook on a train. 

You can find a review for the first Jaya Jones book here 

No comments: