Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Fudge Conquers All

Mackinac Island has always held some allure for me, but after reading All Fudged Up by Nancy Coco, I'm not so sure about the residents of the island. They are either very provincial or unfriendly. For instance when Allie McMurphy returns to her grandfather's hotel, she is treated like an incomer, especially when she finds the body of her grandfather's archenemy in her utility closet. The annoying thing is people take to wearing purple or green ribbons to silently show which side they are on - the Jessops or the McMurphys.

This was too Hatfields and McCoys for me, but I plodded on lured by the fudge recipes. There are also two handsome men in Allie's dreams. One is Rex Manning, gorgeous police officer always at her beck and call, and the other is equally handsome Trent Jessop (yes from that family). I'm anxious to see how the author handles this Rex-Allie-Trent triangle with the wild card of college friend Jennifer added to the mix.

Another annoying issue includes the Historic Commission board which argues with Allie about paint
colors and locks installed on the hotel, while green lighting an ultramodern hotel being built by Paige Jessop (yes that family). Now I live in a small town and I understand the constant battle between old timers and newcomers, but this borders on obstruction. And for a community that thrives on outside visitors, I find calling them "fudgies" annoying as well, Maybe I am not going to be going to Mackinac Island, if this is a true depiction of the residents.

Several murders follow and Allie is eyed suspiciously by the purple ribbon crowd (Jessop side) although Rex doesn't think she should be a suspect. A rather convoluted plot ensures leading to shipwrecked booty and Prohibition. I'd say if it weren't for the dreams of fudge in my imagination, I would not be reading these books. Click here for other books by the author.

No comments: