Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Interview with Stephen Clark

What is the title of your newest book? How many books have you published?
Hands Up is the title of my sophomore novel. My debut novel was a political thriller titled Citizen Kill.

How did you develop your character and choose your location?
Hands Up features three protagonists who represent different aspects of American society: Officer
Stephen Clark
Ryan Quinn is an idealistic rookie who brushes off causal racism until he fatally shoots an unarmed black teen. As an everyman of sorts, Ryan is the embodiment of a culture that, if not racist, has certainly allowed racism to flourish. Jade Wakefield is a cynical college student struggling with mental health issues after a life of pain and heartache. Like the troubled neighborhood she lives in, Jade perseveres and clings to a glimmer of hope as she sets out to avenge her brother’s death. And Kelly Randolph, the victim’s father, is a reformed criminal who symbolizes the crisis of masculinity that has ravaged not only black families, but various communities across the nation.

I chose my hometown of Philadelphia as the location because of its complicated history and diversity. As the birthplace of our nation and one of America’s most segregated big cities, I thought it was the perfect setting for a social commentary on race relations in the U.S.

For a review of Hands Up, click here.

What books did you read as a child?
Any and all books I could get my hands on, including Dr. Seuss, Charlotte’s Web and The Diary of Anne Frank. As a child of the 80s, however, I fondly remember my addiction to the Choose Your Own Adventure book series.

What drew you to writing?
I believe I was born with a passion for writing. I’ve been keeping a journal as far back as I can remember. As a teenager, I wrote plays for my church. And in college, I wrote and directed a couple of films. I got away from creative writing when I became a journalist. I’m thrilled to be doing it once again.

If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?
Write a novel. I believe the younger you start, the greater the chances you will have success later on.

What kind of research do you do, and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book.
The exhaustive and exhausting kind. There’s nothing too insignificant for me to research. Whether it’s women’s fashion, ethnic cuisines or cultural dialects, I’m always looking to expand my horizons in an effort to capture authentic portrayals. That results in an excessive amount of research time before, during and after the writing process. I rely on knowledgeable sources, personal field trips, as well as books and news articles for my research.

Who is your favorite author?
I have way too many to name. But in recent years, I’ve been obsessed with Gillian Flynn, Richard Lange and Nic Pizzolatto.

If you could invite five people – living or dead – to a dinner party, who would they be?
Oprah Winfrey, Alfred Hitchcock, Bill Maher, Jennifer Lopez and Al Green.

If you could not be an author, what would like to do as a career?
Direct films.

1 comment:

Denise Kainrath said...

Really excited to read Hands Up!
Denise