Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Interview with Liz Mugavero

What is the title of your newest book? How many books have you published?
First, thanks so much for having me! My newest book is written by my alter ego, Cate Conte, and it's called Purrder She Wrote. As Liz Mugavero, my latest book is Purring Around the Christmas Tree, which came out last winter. With both series, I've published eight books, with my ninth coming out in January and two more due next year.

How did you develop your character and choose your location?
For my Pawsitively Organic series, I came up with the idea for the series based on a location. I used to live near a fabulous town green where I'd take my dogs to walk, and one day it occurred to me that it would be the perfect setting for a cozy. My fictional town, Frog Ledge, has elements of a few different towns in that area in Connecticut.

I got the idea for Stan, my main character, because of my job at the time. I worked with a woman who had shortened her name to Stan, and when I met her in person I was expecting a middle-aged man smoking a cigar! It struck me that it was a great name for a woman who felt like she needed to have that element of surprise in her working environment. And I gave Stan a corporate media relations background, which is something else I had some familiarity with.

What is a day in the life of an author like? Do you write a certain number of words, do you write in the morning or evening? 
I work a day job as well, so I try to write some of my word count in the morning. That way, if I get back to it at night, it's all a bonus. My word count or goal varies depending on which part of the process I'm in. Writing a first draft like I'm doing now means I try to do 1000 - 1500 words per day.

Do you belong to a writers group or are you in touch with other writers? How does that help your writing?
I don't belong to an official writers group, but I'm a member of the Wicked Cozy Authors blog. We are all friends, we help each other plot and brainstorm, and we're an awesome support system for one another. We all try to help each other as much as we can, from bouncing ideas off each other, to editing and offering feedback, to talking each other off various ledges. I am very lucky to be part of this group!

Do you model your character after yourself or any one you know?
I think writers always end up infusing elements of themselves or people they know or have met into their characters - it's an occupational hazard. But I would never model a character solely after a specific person. I like to start with an idea of someone, and then flesh that character out by spending time with them - both before I start writing, and then once I'm in the midst of the series. The more time I spend with a character, the more that character continues to develop and grow and reveal him or herself to me.

If your books were made into a movie, who would you want to play the lead character?
I always pictured Stan as a bit like Blake Lively, at least in the looks department!

Who is your favorite author?
I love reading Dennis Lehane, Harlan Coben, Tana French, Lee Child...really, just one?

How do you keep track of character details from book to book so they are consistent? 
I would love to say I'm so organized that I have a detailed character bible that I update after every book - but I'm not. Luckily, my publishers provide a style sheet for each series that has most pertinent details. Otherwise, I can be found combing through past books looking for the details!

If you could not be an author, what would like to do as a career?
I always thought I might want to be a cop or an FBI agent if I wasn't a writer... but writing seemed the safer way to go!

No comments: