Thursday, September 15, 2016

Lea Wait Interview

Lea Wait Interview


How many books have you published?
My 17th book has just been published – Shadows on a Morning in Maine. My 18th, Dangling By a Thread, will be published in late October. I’m writing two mystery series, and I’ve also written five historical novels for young people and a memoir which includes hints on writing – Living and Writing on the Coast of Maine. (You can see her books by following this link)

Under what names do you publish?
Just under my own – Lea Wait.

Do you plot the entire book first, then write, or plot as you go?
I plot most of the book first, although some details I leave open. I definitely have an abbreviated outline – I know where I’m going to start, and where the end will be. But my planning isn’t inviolate. I do change some plot points along the way.

How do you keep continuity on backstory? For example, I read a book recently where the lead character said she had three brothers.  Several books later she was an only child.
I’m not perfect – but that wouldn’t have been my book! I keep a “bible” of all my characters in all my books, so I know their backstories and hair colors and what they drink and whether they have nightmares. I update my “bible” with each book – which also includes maps of towns and floor plans of houses and restaurants, etc.

Who is your favorite author?
That is so hard! But right this minute I’d say my favorite mystery writer is Louise Penny. She’s fantastic!

Do you write with pen and paper or a computer?
A computer, definitely. Although I take notes with pen or pencil, and have files of research notes I’ve written by hand. But when I’m writing … a computer.


Lea Wait writes the Shadows Antique Print mystery series and the Mainely Needlepoint series. Although many of her books are set in Maine, books in her Shadows series have also been set in New York State, New Jersey, and Cape Cod, Massachusetts. Her website is www.leawait.com, and she invites readers to friend her on Facebook and Goodreads. 

Check out Lea Wait's Thread and Gone at http://mapyourmystery.blogspot.com/2016/04/down-east-again.html








No comments: