Thursday, September 29, 2016

Interview with Edith Maxwell/Maddie Day

Edith Maxwell/Maddie Day Interview

How many books have you published? 
I have nine mystery novels out in four series (I had written a number of technical manuals previously, but that's a different story). Four more books are either finished or in production, and number fourteen is underway! (Check them out here)

Under what names do you publish? 
Edith Maxwell, Maddie Day, and Tace Baker. Edith Maxwell writes the Local Foods Mysteries (from
Kensington Publishing) and the Quaker Midwife Mysteries (from Midnight Ink). Maddie Day writes the Country Store Mysteries (also from Kensington Publishing), and Tace Baker wrote two books in the Lauren Rousseau mystery series (but she's on a long-term sabbatical right now, because I can't write four books a year!).

Do you plot the entire book first, then write or plot as you go?
My editor at Kensington Publishing wants me to sketch out the story before hand, with a one-page prose synopsis, so it's a very rough plot. But I prefer to just follow my characters around and write down what they do. I'm always surprised!

How do you keep continuity on backstory? For example I read a book recently where the lead character said she had three brothers, several books later, she was an only child. 
That is so important. I keep a Series Characters file for each series. Every character who has ever been named is listed, as well as everything I know about them. Of course my protagonist has the longest entry. We forget by book four what kind of car she drives or, as you say, how many brothers she has. The list also keeps me from repeating names, or naming three characters Thomas, Tommy, and Tim. Way confusing for readers.

Who is your favorite author? 
That's too hard! I will say that I very much admire both Julia Spencer-Fleming and Louise Penny. Their stories suck you in, their characters are richly drawn and real, and their language is elegant and clear. If I could write like either of them I'd die happy.

Do you write with pen and paper or a computer?
I normally type into the computer, but I've been know to fill up a few pages of paper when I'm away from my desk. I also brainstorm with pen and paper, or by voice into my phone while I'm out on one of my plotting walks.

Check out my review of Til Dirt Do Us Part.

No comments: