Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Interview with Nancy Coco

What is the title of your newest book? How many books have you published? My latest book is Fudge Bites, which is on shelves now. I have published 28 books mostly cozy
Nancy Coco
mysteries with a few romances.

What was the most recent book you read?
I'm reading Game of Scones by Mary Lee Ashford. Loving it!

How did you develop your character and choose your location?
My characters come to me and stand by my bed and demand I tell their story. I choose my location either based on where I'm living, a place I love to visit or a place I'd love to live in - like the Oregon coast, Mackinac Island, and London, England.

What books did you read as a child? 
I was huge into Laura Ingalls Wilder's series, and other books like Virginia Dare and Pocahontas and Sacagawea. I loved historical fiction.

What drew you to writing?
I wanted to live in other people's stories, so I asked my 5th grade best friend to write a book with me. She wasn't interested, but I wrote anyway.

If you could tell your younger writing self anything, what would it be?
Enjoy every moment you write, even the hard ones. It's all part of the process.

What kind of research do you do, and how long do you spend researching before beginning a book? 
I love research! It's a hobby of mine to dig around on line about a subject, a place, a time. I have to be really careful to stop researching and write. Also, not to put in too much research as it takes away from the story.

Who is your favorite author?
I have so many favorites - authors I know, authors I read, it's too hard to pick a favorite.
If you could invite five people – living or dead – to a dinner party, who would they be?
Oh, this is a hard one. I want to meet so many people. Okay, I'll try to limit myself. Let's see... Agatha Christy, Emily Dickinson, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Leonardo DiVinci, and Jane Austin.

If you could not be an author, what would like to do as a career?
I would love to be an editor at a fashion magazine in NY or a soap opera actress. Oh, those answers make me laugh. When I was young, I wanted to be an astronaut. A bookstore owner. A corporate lawyer or a CEO. I think that's why I write. I want to be so many things and stories let me be whoever I want at the moment.

No comments: