Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Raging Rapids

White water rafting is something I would never, ever do. First because I get seasick, second because I know I would fall out of the raft. But I have to say Beth Groundwater's Deadly Currents nearly changed my mind. The action is fast and furious on the Upper Arkansas River in Colorado and river ranger Mandy Tanner is right in the thick of it.

The opening scene involves the daring river rescue of two raft riders and made my stomach churn as much as the river. A woman is saved; a man is dead. When the widow of the dead man threatens to file a lawsuit against Mandy's uncle Bill, the owner of the rafting company involved, Mandy seeks to discover what caused the death.

River rights and big resort developers clash over a land deal, and Tom King, the dead man, was in the thick of things. Wife, mistress, son, environmentalists and business rivals all come into the frame as suspects when murder is the verdict. In the meantime Mandy's uncle's business is threatened, not just by the lawsuit, but by diminishing profits. Torn between her love for the river
ranger job with the Arkansas Headwaters Recreation Area and being a tour guide for her uncle, Mandy aims to solve the murder. When another death occurs, Mandy is thrown into turmoil.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the descriptions of raft riding. I'm not sure I actually knew what was going on with the rafting terms, but it was an exciting ride and I am glad I had the chance to tag along.

The next book in this series is Wicked Eddies and I have already started it.You can too by clicking here.


2 comments:

Beth Groundwater said...

Thanks for the lovely reviews! - Beth

Unknown said...

I really loved this story. I was on the Arkansas River this past summer on a rafting trip and we were in Brown Canyon. We had a blast and thank goodness no dead bodies!!!!Peggy