Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Seeing Ghosts

Emma Lee Raines sees dead people; not in the Sixth Sense way, but people who have been murdered and cannot cross over. In A Ghostly Undertaking by Tonya Kappes, Emma is an undertaker for Eternal Slumber Funeral Home in Sleepy Hollow, Kentucky, and ever since a plastic Santa fell on her head, she is able to see dead people. Not that she is willing, but they happen to find her.

Her first visitor is Ruthie Sue Payne, the ex-wife of Emma's grandmother's husband. She claims she was pushed down a flight of stairs causing her death, and she tries to blame Granny Raines. Emma needs to clear her grandmother of suspicion, so she decides to investigate with the ghost watching her every move. Of course talking to a ghost leads many in Sleepy Hollow to believe Emma has Funeral Trauma and is crazy.

The premise of this book is so wacky, but I loved it. Emma talking to ghosts while others are around watching is hilarious. Fortunately Sheriff Jack Henry Ross, who is sweet on Emma, believes her and looks at Ruthie Sue's death as a murder. From an ambitious mayor to a goth newcomer to town to the women's Auxiliary, there are
plenty of suspects to go around.

When Jack Henry takes Emma to a medium, she discovers she is a Betweener medium, helping the
dead who are caught in the here and there. Many have unfinished business to attend to, and Emma knows she will be called on again and again to help them cross.

I look forward to the other books in this series. My one complaint about the book is the cover. I don't think the figure of an attractive woman is necessary to encourage people to read the book. I hope the future covers are different.See other Tonya Kappes books by clicking here.

22 comments:

Christine O Cheallaigh said...

I love Tonya's other series, Magical Cures Mysteries, so I can't wait to start reading this one!

Robyn K said...

Tonya Kappes is a fantastic author! I love her books!

Unknown said...

Love Tonya's books!!! She is fabulous!!!

Donna Harms said...

Tonya's books are awesome! <3

Nova said...

I love Tonya and her books!

casmith79 said...

Tonya has a gift for creating sassy characters and a plot that keeps the reader entranced until the very last page.

Unknown said...

I love this series, as well as her others.

Debi Paglia said...

Tonya is the very best at writing mysteries with a touch of Southern! I love her books about witches & ghosts! This series is really good...would recommend to everyone!

karenlalsip@gmail.com said...

I love Tonya's writing style. She creates such a sense of community.

karenlalsip@gmail.com said...

I love Tonya's writing style. She creates such a sense of community.

Fishmom23 said...

Love this series.

Deb Forbes said...

This is a good fun series

Deb Forbes said...

This is a good fun series

Unknown said...

I really want to read this book. It is now on my list to be read. Tonya is one of my favorite authors

Carrie M said...

This is such a fun series!

Patricia Blandford Liu said...

I have this book and the others in this series, in fact I have all of Tonya's books and have already read most of them. She is fantastic and I'm excited each time a new book by her is released. She is one of my favorite authors, not only for her writing but she really loves and appreciates her fans, she is so nice to us.

servedogmom said...

This series is one of my favorites of those authored by Tonya Kappes. She has the perfect blend of mystery, romance, suspense and humor.

SilverWolf said...

I love this series. Tonya does a fantastic job of keeping you in suspense all the way through to the end. I can't wait for the next book in the series to come out.

SilverWolf said...

I love this series. Tonya does a fantastic job of keeping you in suspense all the way through to the end. I can't wait for the next book in the series to come out.

Unknown said...

I love Emma & Tonya! WTG, I'm proud of this achievement!

Anonymous said...

The first book I read by Tonya and I was hooked!

Unknown said...

LOVE Tonya's books , and her she is so good to all of us . Her love for what she does and her family come through in all she does. Thank You Tonya for all you do and keep the books coming !