Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Elle Alexander on Video

How long does it take to shoot the weekly video?
Most of my weekly videos run about ten to fifteen minutes in length but it takes at least an hour to
actually film each video. Sometimes even longer if I mess up a bunch or if we need a lot of b-roll to add into the final cut. The videos need lighting and sound as well as trying to figure out the best place to shoot based on the time of day and topic, so set-up is probably another thirty minutes to an hour.

Click here for the latest Five Things Friday - Five Favorite Cookbooks video

Do you work from a script or just wing it?
I always start with a script and rough idea of what I want to talk about each week, and then from there I usually end up winging it once we start filming. I have basic talking points sketched out, but one of the things that I enjoy most about filming the videos is feeling like I get to have a conversation with readers. Sure, technically it’s a one-sided conversation when I’m filming but I want readers to feel like we’re chatting on my living room couch with a latte and pastry. I want to give readers a sense of who I really am.

Who films and edits the footage?
My husband does all of the set-up, filming, editing, sound, etc. He’s a dream! I would never be able to tackle something like this without his help. I’m technically challenged. Fortunately his background is in advertising and he recently launched his freelancing career. I’m his first official “client”.

Why did you decide to use this Five Things format?
Good question. I don’t know if it was a conscious choice initially. We were brainstorming ideas about what would be fun to share with readers to give them a glimpse into what goes into writing. I get a ton of email from readers (which I love BTW) with questions not only about specific books and characters but also about sort of the “mystique” of writing for a living. I wanted to share interesting content and I said to my husband, “It’s hardly like my life is glamorous”. We laughed and then we were both like, “Oh, hey what if we share that?” The idea evolved from there.

Have things changed from when you first started doing the videos?
For sure! I feel like I’ve gotten more comfortable in front of the camera. At first I felt stiff and weird, but then I had an ah-ha moment, where I imagined that the camera was a reader. I told myself to talk to the camera like I would to a reader at a book event and that really helped. Now when I sit down to shoot a video, I’m excited to get to have a conversation and share so much more than I could in any other medium online.

What have you learned from shooting videos?
I’ve learned so much and have so much more to learn. It’s a lot like writing in that way. In addition to the 5 Things Friday videos I did a pie project last December where I baked a pie every day for a month, filmed it, and shared the videos and recipes. It was a huge challenge. I had no idea how different it is to film a baking video. We had to rig up special cameras to shoot from above so that readers would be able to see what I was adding to a mixing bowl. I’ve learned to slow way down when I’m baking for the camera, versus how I would bake in normal everyday life. Otherwise viewers would be dizzy watching my mixer whirling and my hands rolling dough at lightening speed. I enjoy the challenge of learning from some of my early filming mistakes, and hopefully improving over time.

What has your response been to the videos?
The response has been wonderful. I love interacting with readers who have viewed the videos. I’ve received so many suggestions and ideas for other topics and content, too. It’s great to be able to incorporate reader ideas and questions into the videos. I’m getting ready to roll out two new series. The Torte Test Kitchen will be a series where I bake and share recipes from already published books and upcoming books. I’m also going to start a series specifically for writers about the world of publishing and writing tips and techniques.

1 comment:

Denise Kainrath said...

Loved the coffee series... I can't wait to watch the cookbook video, I love a good cookbook! It's so fun watching Ellie's videos because you can see how genuine of a person she is.
Denise