Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Interview with Jane Steen

What is the title of your newest book? How many books have you published?
My latest book is Lady Helena Investigates, the first in a new series called The Scott-De Quincy
Mysteries. I’ve also published three books in the House of Closed Doors series.

How did you develop your character and choose your location?
My inspirations usually begin with a location. I see or read of a place where I’d love to set a story, and somehow characters walk into that location and start talking to each other in my head. If they stick around long enough I know I have the basis for a book, so then I start trying to write something. Character development is quite a long process; it happens mostly during the first draft although I’ll often go back and flesh out the background of key characters, especially the villains. I rewrite a lot so the characters become more complex as the drafts progress.

What is a day in the life of an author like? Do you write a certain number of words, do you write in the morning or evening?
I tend to start writing toward the later part of the afternoon; I reserve the earlier part of the day for my writing business and all the other things I have to do. That’s the opposite way round from most writers, but once I start writing I find I can’t tackle all the practical stuff and that has led to some horrendous admin backlogs. I’ve tried writing a set number of words but my life is quite full and some days I wouldn’t be able to hit targets. I’ve found it’s easier just to resolve to keep writing, and to track my progress. My fans motivate me by asking for more books.

Do you model your character after yourself or any one you know?
My characters come from all sorts of sources. I might give them an appearance that suits their story, or I might have been inspired by someone I’ve met. Their personality traits come from lots of different people I’ve observed over the years. I would never copy somebody directly from life; that would feel very odd.

If your books were made into a movie, who would you want to play the lead character?
I’m not very good at remembering actors so I rarely connect my characters to them. Besides, what I’d really want to do would be to make some unknown or minor actors into stars—much more fun than using big names, although it would be fun to have a major actor play a villain. I’d love to be an advisor during the casting process. I remember following Diana Gabaldon’s Facebook page when they were casting for Outlander and it was amazing to see two fresh faces turning into Claire and Jamie.

Who is your favorite author?
Golden Age detective mystery writer Dorothy L. Sayers. I fell in love with her books in my teens, as my school library had the whole set. I adored the elements of an aristocratic family saga, and that has directly influenced Lady Helena Investigates.

If you could invite five people – living or dead – to a dinner party, who would they be?
Dorothy L. Sayers, of course! Queen Victoria, so I could watch her eat—supposedly she was quite greedy and ate very fast. Classics professor and blogger Mary Beard, as moderator of the conversation. Lord Byron, because a good dinner party needs some eye candy and I think he was probably quite funny. Benedict Cumberbatch, so I could get a selfie to send to a friend who’s nuts about him. I think that combination of guests would either start a riot or lead to the world’s best evening, and either way I’d enjoy watching.

If you could not be an author, what would like to do as a career?
At my time of life I might be tempted to fall back on retirement, although I’d keep myself very busy with volunteering for several good causes I wish I had more time for. I’d also raise money by long-distance walking. If I had to work I think I’d look for a job connected with garden design or horticulture, because I adore plants. In all of these circumstances I think I’d launch a blog or website and try to monetize it, or start up a related business. Once an entrepreneur, always an entrepreneur, and I’m completely hooked on being my own boss.

No comments: