Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Faith Healing and Murder

As I write the review for Carolyn Haines' Hallowed Bones, I wish I could take healer Doreen Mallory's advice to channel your inner strength to heal myself. My nose is stuffy and I am coughing my head off. If you see it rolling by, send it back to me. But I digress.

P.I. Sarah Booth Delaney leaves her Mississippi home to travel to New Orleans to assist faith healer Doreen Mallory prove she did not kill her seriously disabled child. Who would follow a faith healer who could not cure her own child? There is much at stake for Doreen, her followers and her Foundation. The more Sarah Booth digs, the crazier the case becomes. Doreen refuses to identify the father of her baby although she does admit to having sex with three different men as part of her healing!

One is a powerful Senator, another is a successful televangelist and the third is her finance director. 

But Sarah Booth has her own man troubles with married sheriff Coleman Peters and old flame
Hamilton Garrett V. Add in Coleman's psycho, allegedly pregnant wife Connie and it is an explosive mix. When Connie threatens to kill herself unless Sarah Booth comes back to Mississippi to talk to her, there is little she can do, but go.

Back in Mississippi, Sarah Booth discovers a important link to her client Doreen and she returns to New Orleans to puzzle out the new clue.

This was a complicated and intricate plot that beautifully unwinds into a shocking conclusion. I enjoy these books, especially with the talking ghost back home. Jitty was not so apparent in this book, but she is in others.

For more books by Carolyn Haines, click here.

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

Thank you for reading my book and reviewing it. If I find your poor head rolling around, I'll send it back. A lot of my friends are in the same boat with the upper respiratory business. Feel better and thank you for a wonderful review.